Season 3: "Rethink the Shark"

Broadcast dates: July 11, 2009
Original broadcast dates: Monday 26 January 2009 11:30am & Saturday, 31 January 2009 4:30pm

There's an old marketing axiom: "never try to change people's minds". Yet massive changes in public attitudes happen constantly: attitudes about the role of women, about racial equality, about smoking, using seatbelts, and attitudes about gay/lesbian/bi & transsexual lifestyles. This week Terry O'Reilly examines the role advertising plays when society's attitudes change- how it can help sustains old thinking, or work as a force to sanctify new thinking.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 8 | Bookmark and Share

Terry O'Reilly is one of CBC's BEST programs!!!Thank you! I faithfully listen each week to the comments from this insightful man who reviels the 'devil behind the curtain' influencing our lives. He really has made me stop and think about advertisers' messaging.
He is so creative in his approach and "teaching".

katie, January 26, 2009 9:32 PM

Its hip, its now!
Thanks Mr. O'Reilly and gang for a great piece.

Brent, February 2, 2009 12:27 PM

I have to listen to this for my english class, and even if I didn't understand it all, I found it really interresting. It's a good message and it shows how advertising can change mind. But it also shows that it can change it in a bad way. The question is : Is Advertising a good think ?

Mikaelle, February 3, 2009 4:32 PM

Advertising is a good thing Mikaelle.

Advertising helps our society meet the fundamentals of a free-market which are; Self-Interest, Complete Information, Many Buyers and Sellers, and Lessening the Effect of Social Costs.

To elaborate a little, since I have no idea of the amount of economics training you have, Advertising is an Economic Tool.

1)it helps to identify and differentiate products.

2)it communicates to consumers the product, its features, and its location, and price (sometimes).

3)it encourages/persuades us to try new products and suggests reuse of those products.

4)it stimulates the distribution of a product.

5)it builds value, brand preference, and loyalty.

6)it lowers the overall cost of sales.

7)it increases product use

I do understand where some of this stuff can become construed and utilized, to more sinister ends, by advertisers but the bulk of advertising we are exposed to today does fill many of the fundamentals of a free-market economy.

Did I answer your question?

Ivan White, February 4, 2009 8:39 AM

advertisings involvement was induced by Goverment spending...we stopped drinking an driving because it became illegal...not because of an advertisement..same for seatbelts...as for cigarettes...advertising told us it was great and pushed it..untill again Goverenment decided against it....so dont give yourself too much credit mister advertiser...You've done more damage then good..trying too make us drink..drive and smoke untill the Goverment slaps ya on the fingeres

dave, February 14, 2009 3:25 PM

NO NO I REALLY THINK SHE MEANT TO ASK THE QUESTION

IS ADVERTISING A GOOD THINK?

IT WAS NOT A TYPO!

The trick of advertising is to get you not to think, but rather to think you are thinking. Ala - ha ha I am the first one to get one of these cars on my block, hahaha I'm better than you are, cause you only have last years model.

That way you are warm and fuzzy over your newest shiniest fastest gizzzmo that replaces the last gizzzmo who's place in life has now been religated to holiding down a table at your next flea market. Or in the case of the car, .. try ebay.

TONY KLANCAR, February 16, 2009 8:06 PM

I love this program. Terry O'Reilly and his writers have produced an interesting portal on the world of advertising. I feel like I'm back in University and it feels good.

Nick Read, November 4, 2009 7:22 PM