Season 3: "Commandeering Holidays"

Is the meaning of major holidays- from Easter and Passover to Christmas and Ramadan- becoming lost in a sea of holiday marketing? This week Terry O'Reilly explains why advertisers don't dare ignore the opportunities presented by holidays. Just as marketing has come to dominate major Christian holidays, Terry explains how, in a sense, the baton has been passed: it was the church, after all, that commandeered many of its holidays from pagan traditions.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 14 | Bookmark and Share

"Commandeering Holidays" - Just has to be one of the best (and I have not heard any bad ones yet! Keep up the excellent mix of education and entertainment. I guess this just confirms that this program is simply a very successful extension of the concept of "persuasion"!!!!!

Colin Chappell, February 23, 2009 12:06 PM

A wonderful informative and entertaining program.

A great use of my tax dollars.

Bruce Peckford, February 23, 2009 1:14 PM

Terry, I was listening to your program today about holidays and marketing and you mentioned Clement Moore as the author of The Night Before Christmas.

There is a book, Author Unknown: On the Trail of Anonymous by Don Foster. He is the guy who correctly identified the author of the political satire, Primary Colours, which had beeb published anonymously. Subsequently he published his own book on his methods; it is the one mentioned above.

He argues that Clement Moore did not write the famous Christmas poem although he took credit for it. You should check it out. TR

Terry Ryan, February 23, 2009 2:38 PM

Hey Terry Ryan-

We did indeed come across this controversy in our research. Hence, Terry was careful to say Clement Moore "is said to have written" A Visit from St. Nicolas.

Heck, the last thing we want is to get in the middle of a debate over the true paternity of Prancer and Vixen.

Thanks so much for the note. It's great to know that we aren't the only ones curious about this stuff.

Mike Tennant
Producer, AOP

Mike Tennant, February 25, 2009 12:55 PM

Man.....this is one heck of a good program!!!!! Is there a way to get audio online? Keep up the good work. When I listen to radio, I always listen to CBC Radio and this program is number one.

Bert Rapp, February 27, 2009 11:59 PM

Any reason why your shows are only provided in streaming format, and not as podcasts?

Love the show, one of my favourites.

ps. possibly my favourite

Black Jack Shellac, February 28, 2009 11:15 AM

Really entertaining! Keep up the great work!

Nazar, February 28, 2009 6:32 PM

Hello Hello
I love your show. As I am on the road all the time Mondays 11.30 AM is my favorite time of the week. And if I have to stop and load or unload during your show I get real mad. But this is all in the past now that I have discovered that I can listen to you on the net. So in the evenings when the dust settles down at home I turn on my computer and start listening to one of your past programs wile playing Backgammon with another player on line. Thank you Thank you
By the way the music of the program is lovely and very catchy. Would you be very kind and tell me some info about it? Like who made it what is the name of it? and where can I get it?
Did I mention that I love the show?
good by

Shayan Vilkiji, March 1, 2009 3:53 PM

Shayan - thanks for your great email. Our wonderful theme music was written for our show by Ian and Ari, who we proudly mention in the credits every week. Both Ian and Ari are award-winning music composers, and both work at my production company, Pirate Toronto. The title of the music is "The AOP Theme." When we were first talking about creating a theme, we told them to make it fun and quirky, with a sense of humour and bemusement - like the show we were about to create.

I think it's safe to say they nailed that.

I've suggested to Ian and Ari that they make it available on iTunes. I'll ask them again if there is any progress on that front and post their answer here.

Thanks for listening!

Terry

Terry O'Reilly, March 7, 2009 5:19 PM

Hello Terry, I listen to your progamme when ever I can, which is a lot because I only listen to CBC antway.Until two years ago, when he died, it was with my husband Russell. He was an 'ad'man for fifty odd years, creative diretor/copy. I was very lucky because he shared his working life with me so I learned a lot about advertising I have just finished watching the dvd of 'Mad Men' and I can't begin to tell you how many memories that
brought back, good and bad!!He started his career in advertising in the UK. While we were still there he wrote the line about the ticking clock for Rover. They didn't use it because it sounded as though they had a 'cheap' clock.I'm sure you remember who did use it many years later.
Getting down to the point of all this, links up with your repetition, repetition item
I wonder how many times that line 'It tastes awful and it works' has been repeated. My Russ wrote that, over thirty years ago.I know he did, because at the time I thought it should have been'but' not 'it', I guess he was right.

Audrey Showell, March 21, 2009 2:00 PM

Hello Audrey. I love when listeners tell me stories like that. As coincidence would have it, I just recently came across an article that showed the actual Rover ad that your husband Russell wrote. And it, too, suggested that Mr. Ogilvy might have been *somewhat* influenced by it. Previous to that article, I had no idea that wonderful headline had a life before Rolls Royce. Thank you for your email, and thank you for listening!

Terry O'Reillly, March 26, 2009 2:57 PM

I really appreciated the information on your show. It is this same information about holidays that we try to explain to people to show them the true meaning behind all holidays on the modern day calendar. you however have done an amazing job in the research of this subject and I am glad tht it is available to down load.
We really get to see that the thing we are, more often that not, devoting ourselves to is in fact hollow and valueless.

Lisa P, April 6, 2009 8:09 PM

It's true about the Manitoba men, maybe because of our cold Februarys?

Katie White, December 10, 2009 1:10 PM

I heard first half of holiday show today. while I like all your shows this one sent me to look up this site. keep it up.thanks

robert, December 18, 2009 8:05 PM