Season 3 Episode 6: "The Human Face of Persuasion"

Monday, February 9 2009 11:30 am and Saturday 14 February 2009 4:30 pm
(Originally aired November, 2006)

Hooda thunkit: for all their flow charts and profit projections, Marketers are re-discovering the true "secret weapon" of persuasion: people. In this episode from Season One of the Age of Persuasion, Terry explains the value of putting a "human face" to a brand: from the fictional Aunt Jemima to the very real Chef Boyardee. And how Radio uses the power of the human voice to say things about a brand... without saying them.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 5 | Bookmark and Share

Great program Terry, as per usual! But today's is different, in that I feel compelled to comment. I find the human voice so attractive and mysterious. My favorite ad voices are, and you must tell me what you think, Jeff Bridges and Peter Coyote. I like the timbre and depth of their voice.

Thanks again Terry, and all the best!

Paraska , February 9, 2009 3:01 PM

Great choices - I particularly love Jeff Bridges's voice on the Duracell and Hyundai spots. We work with him on some of those spots, and he's terrific. Have never worked with Peter Coyote, but he's great as well, and has been doing voiceovers for many years.

I always say the best thing about working with celebrities is that they don't "sell" in their delivery. They don't have all the tricks that commercial voiceover people have - they give you an "unadorned" read that sounds so fresh on air.

The downside, of course, is that you have to handle them with kid-gloves. They are very specific in what they will and won't do, and you have such limited time with them in the studio. And they usually arrive with an entourage. But in the end, the spots are usually fantastic.

Terry O'Reilly, February 11, 2009 10:31 AM

Okay, I'll bite.....was that really
Steven Hawking doing the end credits? And who do you have to call to get him to read the end credits of your show....

I caught the last half of the show and will have to listen in again!

I also find the human voice fascinating. Sometimes I recognize the voice of the person on tv before I can place the face.

Lately, I find myself chuckling at the Rogers ads where our hero is doing lunch with "Big Boy" who whips out "his big fat gold pen" to ink the deal. Now our hero is entertaining "Big Boy" at the hockey game when he quips "Holy Hockey tape" when the Rogers gadget saves him "before the Zamboni makes it through the first turn". I am embarrassed to say I don't remember exactly what gadget it is they are selling but I do enjoy mimicking "Holy Hockey tape" now and then!!

"Don't worry. We're authorized" from Dennis Farina in Law and Order is part of our household's lingo too....of course we say it just like Dennis used to.... when we are doing something we are obviously not authorized to do.

Love the show keep up the great work!

Kathy Leko, February 14, 2009 8:23 PM

A little late to be posting this comment, but I miss the woman you had as the closing voice. Much more entertaining than the guy you've got now (sorry, whomever you are). The female voice as a counterpoint to the male voices of the program was much more effective, especially as she was often deflating the male AoP team members. I say "bring her back" (sort of a Classic Coke vs New Coke thing).

David, February 15, 2009 2:32 PM

I second David's request. I too miss the woman's voice doing the credits and would like to have her back (unless, of course, she made the decision herself). Some things are just right the first time.

Linda, February 27, 2009 3:01 PM