Everything I Need to Know About Life I Learned from Agency Pitches

Broadcast Date: December 27th (pre-empted on CBC Radio One, aired on Sirius Channel 137) (originally broadcast: February 16, 2008)

It's among the greatest, most inspired, most creative, most spectacular work done in marketing... yet few ever see it. Every year, Ad agencies pull out all the stops to 'pitch' their services to prospective clients. This week, Terry O'Reilly takes you inside the boardrooms to share some of the Ad industry's best, most remarkable, and most disastrous 'pitch' stories, and gleans from them a surprisingly handy set of life-lessons.

Audio currently unavailable

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 19 | Bookmark and Share

Brilliant!!

The streaming audio allowed me to catch up on the rest of the season. NBC may have "Must-See-TV", but with the Age of Persuasion", CBC has "Must-Listen-Radio"!!

Kevin LeBlanc
Ottawa

Kevin LeBlanc, February 16, 2008 3:22 PM

Terry,
I've been listening to your show for a while now and am delighted to be able to listen to the ones I've missed on the radio via the web. As a new comer to the wild world of marketing, I find your show very interesting and informative. Keep up the great work!

Jeff Molson

Jeff molson, February 17, 2008 11:33 PM

This was a great program! How can I get a recording?

Thanks, Gillian

Gillian Cody, February 19, 2008 12:43 PM

Great show. I own a small graphics design company and it is recommended listening for our staff.

ike erickson, February 20, 2008 9:12 AM

"Brian",

A dazzling list of life lessons; one that would surely humble even Aristotle or Kant. And, yes, my boss has called me, "John", "Jack" and even on one occasion commended "Jeff" on a job well done. I guess George isn't all that memorable a name.

George, February 24, 2008 6:05 AM

Outstanding show - thank you CBC for putting this on the air (and on the web site - nice, nice, nice) and thank you Pirate Radio.

Alex, March 1, 2008 5:01 PM

Streaming audio is great! Podcasts would be better!!

Stan, March 10, 2008 8:40 AM

I SO love this show.

I have been wishing for podcasts/archives since O'Reilly on Advertising 3 (4?) years ago.

My life is complete; I can die happy now.

Lindsay Burrell, April 24, 2008 9:25 PM

Terry;

My Mom, Dad, and younger sister (13) all love this show. We think it should be part of high-school curriculum.

The on-line streaming helps me get through the most boring parts of my day by educating and entertaining me.

Thank you for taking us (the consumers)into your world. It is a fascinating place.

Colleen B. Brantford, ON, October 22, 2008 3:40 PM

Absolutely love your show. Each season I as I am eagerly awaiting new episodes a part of me panics in case they don't come. I have often listened while in the car and my son who is now 11 has been with me many of those times. He is not only a fan, he is becoming a reasonably savvy consumer. It is wonderful to be able to listen to the shows I have missed as well as listen again to old favourites. I am pleased to be able to email this link to friends.
Thanks for the new season.

Julia Done, January 16, 2009 9:01 PM

Terry's is among the best CBC has to offer. Everyone who I suggest listen to it comes away speechless. It is a credit to Terry that he can do this episode after episode. You think you are making your own decisions... It especially amazes my younger (20-25) friends who come away thinking they've been 'had'. Kudos to Terry.

jim guy, January 23, 2009 7:57 PM

Hi Terry:

Thank you for a very interesting program and Kudos for CBC making the show available on PC's.

Cheers!

Bryan

Bryan Fordham, March 25, 2009 9:44 AM

I just flipping through the cbc radio and came upon this,
i started to listen and fell inlove of this show, i just wish you had podcast so i would be able to listen at work ( i Drive a company vehicle for a living )

Andrew, April 20, 2009 5:23 PM

Brilliant show (all of them, actually)! Brings back tons of... hmmm... memories of my jingle-writing days in Toronto. When I turn on CBC invariably at 4:50-ish Saturday afternoons, I curse myself out for missing the best show on Canadian radio.... thankfully, catching up with the podcasts. Keep up the fabulous work!

Hello to Chris and Ian!

Gerard Tevlin
Volcano Music Inc.
gtevlin@sympatico.ca

Gerard Tevlin, May 5, 2009 1:18 AM

Terry,

Thank you for taking the time to put together these shows for us; CBC, thank you for making them available.

Terry, you have a wonderful way of revealing several Ah-ha! moments to me when I listen to the stories you portray in your shows.

In the past few weeks I've listened to all of Season 3 and am now starting to enjoy the earlier shows posted here.

Thanks again and I hope you continue to share your knowledge and insight with us.

Alan Nisbet, May 5, 2009 1:13 PM

Brilliant. Thank you for creating a great, great, mind expanding program.

docreiss, September 26, 2009 1:13 AM

My wife and I were on a tour bus (double Decker with open roof) in "Trafalgar Square" when they made the announcement that London will be hosting the 2012 Olympics. Interesting to here this was results of a perfect pitch. COOL!

Quinton

Quinton, October 19, 2009 11:45 AM

Appreciate the opportunity to listen again to programs I especially liked, and to hear the ones I had to miss on air.
What I have most valued about CBC since I became addicted in the 1940's was becoming interested in ideas about which I might otherwise remained ignorant.
Thanks

Bill Turner, November 18, 2009 9:24 AM

I love listening to Terry. I learn so much tuning in to CBC. I particularly like this, it's entertaining as well as informing.

Josie Tait, November 27, 2009 7:50 PM