Branding the News

Broadcast date: December 18, 2008 (Originally broadcast February 2nd, 2008)

News is big business. This week, Terry O'Reilly traces the origins of today's news packaging.

Here's a headline you'll never, ever see in your daily paper: "Nothing Happened". Terry O'Reilly describes the ugly circle that drives modern newsgathering: how reporting takes money, how the need from money means attracting advertisers, how pleasing advertisers requires a vast audience, and how the need for a vast audience affects news content, and the way it's presented.

He explores the cult of personality that drives TV newscasts, and traces the history of newsgathering to a handful of distance runners in ancient Greece.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 28 | Bookmark and Share

I've been facilitating workshops on Media Literacy for over 4 years so I'm looking forward to this, which may get more Canadians thinking critically about the messages we're receiving.
Only our public broadcaster would have the guts to air such a story; that is why we need one.

Elizabeth Wallace, February 1, 2008 11:53 AM

I would appreciate knowing if and when a book covering the contents of this series will be avilable.

Noreen McNairn, February 2, 2008 11:45 AM

Great show, Branding the News.

Does anyone have that Lenard Cohen quote and source?

John Currie, February 2, 2008 12:45 PM

Great show but playing it only on Saturday is terrible. Can't you re-broadcast it during the week sometime? Age of Persuasion is one of the best things CBC is doing right now.

Craig, February 3, 2008 4:29 PM

I am teaching an online media course and am RABID to get podcasts of your programmes! When, oh when, will a protocol be established? Must I dust off my cassette player?

Carrie Collins, February 3, 2008 9:44 PM

I really miss this show during the week, it's too bad it was dissed to a Sat. morning slot.

I look forward to the podcasts, soon I hope.

Rick

rick vincil, February 5, 2008 12:07 PM

I look forward to the podcasts, soon I hope.

Rick

rick vincil, February 5, 2008 12:07 PM

Where can I listen to past shows?
This is an excellent program but the timing is inconvenient.

Anitta Trotter, February 5, 2008 4:37 PM

Thanks for posting this as streaming audio. Until you can podcast this is a good alternative. Can you please post the other shows, I'm sure many of us would appreciate it.

Thanks for such an outstanding program.

Blair, February 8, 2008 12:36 PM

This is the best show around! Informative, entertaining- provokes reflection on our culture and forces behind it.

Theresa, February 9, 2008 10:59 AM

Great episode. I really enjoyed the content. You covered the history and specific details of the subject. Keep up the good work.

S.Smith, February 9, 2008 8:48 PM

Many folks I speak to often cite how much they enjoy the insights of Terry O'Reilly's Age of Persuasion.

This critical analysis of messages in our environment is an absolute necessity for us as consumers and voters (in the past, today and in the future). The technology may change over time, but the fundamentals of "persuasion" stay the same.

Thanks Terry!!

Malcolm Gabriel, February 10, 2008 8:16 PM

BeautifulI interesting site!

wesstoche, February 15, 2008 7:18 AM

Nice! We really amused by the website.

Panayiotis, April 28, 2008 1:56 PM

Please Please Please podcast this show. I tell everyone about this great show but I rarely get to hear it. The episodes that I have had a chance to listen to have been so interesting and eye opening. Without a doubt the best show on radio. I rarely get a chance to listen/watch radio & TV shows when they are broadcast so I rely on podcasts to catch up. I understand there are legal concerns but look how many of us want the podcast. Help!

Drew Davis, October 27, 2008 12:59 AM

Hi friends!
I'm new here. I've eventually found this wonderful site and made up my mind to sign up here!
I hope we'll communicate with each other nicely! So this is my first post!

SoliChoobia, November 1, 2008 4:51 PM

I love this show. Can't wait for the release of the podcasts!

John Coldrick, December 27, 2008 1:09 PM

The best quality of programming. This used to be what CBC was capable of

Podcasts please. These shows are to be treasured.

brian casey, January 1, 2009 8:54 PM

A great resource - many thanks!

Mike, January 5, 2009 4:38 PM

Thank you. I read herelots of valuable sentences. Greetings from Poland.

seoelite, January 29, 2009 5:38 PM

Can we get this show on the Podcast sooner rather than later? Aren't we in the Age of Obama now where 'Everything is possible'? I am now totally persuaded.

Hermina Jacobs-Sanson, January 31, 2009 4:54 PM

How would one get copies of the original series, "O'Reilly on Advertising"?

Peter Fargey, February 3, 2009 6:56 PM

stimulating and communicative, but would participate in something more on this topic?

Outwafwal, February 11, 2009 7:34 AM

Thanks for all the great comments. Mike and I love to hear from listeners.

First - to everyone asking about podcasts - we'd love to podcast our show, but we have lots of copyright material in each episode, and podcasts are still in a legal limbo. Other shows that are podcasting, for example, don't have copyright music in them, you can bet. We do.

The moment podcasting law and royalties gets figured out, we'll podcast.

To Peter, you can find a CD Box Set of the 10 most popular episodes from "O'Reilly on Advertising" at the CBC online shop.

Terry O'Reilly, March 30, 2009 8:51 PM

A book! A book! What a great idea! Hey Terry, what do you think? I'd stand in line to have it signed!

Lana, June 2, 2009 8:38 PM

Hey Terry, it's great being able to listen to so many past episodes off your site.

Are "O'Reilly on Advertising" episodes available? The desert island episode was one of my favourites.

Keep up the great work, I love your show.

Tom O'Grady, August 17, 2009 6:56 AM

These kids are Americans - it is time we treat them and expect them to act and be like Americans - from the time they are babies. ,

Miss48, October 22, 2009 7:20 AM

Then, auctions are held to replenish tiles as per the original idea, picking in order of the permutation. ,

Alex83, October 23, 2009 6:27 AM