The Future of Persuasion

Broadcast Date: Nov 13, 2008 (Originally Aired June 14, 2007)

Advertising is a six hundred billion dollar industry these days - and that doesn't take into account its impact on the products and services it promotes.

But nobody really seems to know where the ad industry is headed.

This week on The Age of Persuasion, Terry O'Reilly explains how marketers are slow to adapt to new technologies. But at the same time, advertising is fast moving away from conventional forms and "messaging."

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 10 | Bookmark and Share

fantastic show!

tom, August 14, 2008 9:25 PM

How I wish I got that message from Samuel Jackson. I might have seen the movie.

TinTincoqnito, September 23, 2008 2:37 PM

plain and simple... I LOVE THIS PROGRAM!

alistair, November 18, 2008 2:11 PM

Please Please PLEASE add this program to your podcasts. I'm a faithful CBC listner for the last 35 years and can't always catch Terry. Podcasts are the perfect solution. I can even take him to work! Let's get the copyright problems (or whatever is keeping the Age of Persuasion from being podcasted) resolved! Thanks

Bob, November 30, 2008 1:35 AM

Good storytellers and advertisers create holographic stories, stories that can be taken apart and set across multiple channels.

The pieces attract each other and the stories form in the mind of people for whom they are designed.

Is this a horrific future, no indeed, it is the past. Many cultures have oral storytelling traditions. Study the stories and you will find the future of storytelling and advertising.

With regards to money and the internet, I would not get too excited about it. Money has never guaranteed quality and like me, I'm sure you've seen plenty of markets where money apears to fall from heaven, yet not many are actually making money. The interet is like that too.

Love your show, exciting, entertaining...but ramp it up a notch. It would be a pity if it starts to resemble the dumbed down commercials that seem to be everywhere...'they work'...maybe, but then again it depends how you measure and weather you want to leave the door open to a competitor.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick Trendov, December 4, 2008 3:51 AM

Between shows like Terry O'Reilly's and Jian Gomeshi's, CBC is lowering the bar on what public radio can acheive in this country. Their respective shows just make my bones groan--- they are so obsessed with the trite, the lemming instincts that people can easily fall prey to, the populist, the flatly unimportant. Dedicate these hours to shows that have some heft for Christ's sake.

John McGuire, December 11, 2008 8:38 PM

Please make this a podcast!
I can't be available when these air. I rely on podcasts to hear my favourite programs!

Thanks
rose

Rose Petersen, February 1, 2009 4:42 PM

i like the English accent when napoleon is talking.

daniel goldman, February 18, 2009 5:51 PM

what a great show.I love this show.Please make it podcast.
thanks
George

George, May 18, 2009 9:14 AM

Podcasting would be a great addition to this show. With the changing show times I am not now able to listen to it.

Mark, January 24, 2010 1:37 PM