"It's the Insight, Stupid"

Brodcast Date: October 30, 2008. (Originally Broadcast in April, 2007)

Bill Clinton's electoral victory of 1992 owed much to a four word phrase created by advisor James Carville: "It's the economy, stupid". It wasn't an idea, or a slogan, but an insight. Join Terry O'Reilly as shows why an insight is at the heart of modern persuasion, and how insights fuel great ideas, art, and inventions.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 16 | Bookmark and Share

I'm fed up with being called stupid.

Here's an insight. If you insult someone before you even open your mouth, then they, like me, won't bother listening to a thing you have to say.

An insulting American political catch-phrase still translates to just an insult in Canada.

Small wonder almost nobody listens.
(I'll back that statement with ratings numbers for any market you choose to select)

J Pezzola, May 3, 2008 3:38 AM

This was a great show...can't wait for the audio podcast to be placed on the site, so I can listen to it again. Great work!

Vivian Beer, May 3, 2008 12:14 PM

Love the show!Small quibble with the "It's the Insight, Stupid" episode repeated today, May 2. The Titanic was a "royal mail ship" and not a naval vessel. Ergo, the line should have read "Titanic, RMS."

I don't suppose you guys would consider selling these programs on disc. They should be mandatory listening in every marketing course.

DJ Specht, May 3, 2008 12:54 PM

Another episode that had me silencing the kids in the van :)

..."and then we set his hair on fire.."

I will find, devour and digest that book.

Shaun, May 4, 2008 11:47 AM

DJ Specht-
You're absolutely right- thanks for correcting our erroneous reference to the Titanic.
Another listener added this explanation:
"HMS ([His/]Her Majesty's Ship)are ships of the Royal Navy. RMS or Royal Mail Ship are those ships that have a contract to carry the Royal Mail."
Hey- if we're gonna be wrong, at least we get to learn something interesting.
gratefully,
Mike Tennant
AOP

Mike Tennant, May 5, 2008 10:00 AM

Splendid, Terry, I'm going to make all my clients (all four of them) listen to the entire series.

paul grissom, May 5, 2008 7:38 PM

I was with you up until you said "imagine" was a great insight. Listening to it now, all you can hear are policies that killed millions.

Terrence, May 6, 2008 6:12 PM

Love these! I hate however that brent's Show is on for a whole hour..... I mean, It's Not being marketed to THIS 33 year old.... how does CBC expect to keep it's older viewers?

I can't relate to it.... I don't get it....

THIS! now THIS I GET!!!!

It's Fuching Amazing!!!!

"Redonkulous! Love that! Oh I heard this on Saturday Last week and I can't get it out of my head!....

I will PAY for these Recordings!

keep it Up Terry! You're Brilliant! Something with CONTENT on the CBC for a change!

Josh W, May 6, 2008 11:02 PM

I don't know why but the show keeps stopping at around 8:30. Is it only my computer? Hope it fixes itself soon, this is the only way I can hear your show from Japan! Keep it up!

Emma, May 11, 2008 3:26 AM

>>I'm fed up with being called stupid.

The perils of not paying attention! The insight "It's the economy, stupid" was directed at the Clinton campaign strategists. It was pointing out to the people who designed the campaign to focus on the economy -- not other issues.
If you think every mention of the word "stupid" is directed at you, you may be on to something.

Sharon, May 14, 2008 8:39 PM

One of your best episodes yet. Very insightful. Your show is so persuasive it could almost get people to vote for another Clinton (glad you've stayed out of the political ring).

A. Neilson, June 16, 2008 7:10 PM

What a great show!!!! I loved it. The title is so catchy too. and simple. I have learned so much from listening to your shows and I am pumped to when I can get them on podcast and not miss any. Keep up the awesome work. I also really like the scarsam that implys things as well. the whole thing is done so well and really makes you think. Thank you again. Susan

Susan Blair, November 16, 2008 12:15 PM

What an enthusiastic response from Paul Grissom! Is he the same Paul Grissom I knew at Campbell-Ewald?

- Harvey Bailey

Harvey Bailey, April 7, 2009 10:22 PM

In response to J Pezzola | May 3, 2008 03:38 AM. This episode happens to be one of my favorites. If you or others took the time to listen to it. You would realize that "Its the insight, stupid!" Is a clever way of summarizing the episode by a parody of a Bill Clinton's campaign slogan "Its the Economy, Stupid!".

It ingeniously explains and incorporates how ad campaigns and advertising guru's have incorporated insights into highly successful ideas and projects. Furthermore, the "INSIGHTS" from this episode can be broadly applied to any other creative act or industry. If you haven't listened to it I highly recommend it.

One note the streaming audio cuts out around 21 minutes. Could attempts be made to upload the full 27 minute version?

I'm a big fan and my entire family is. Keep up the great shows Mr. O'Rielly!!

Peter Rose, May 5, 2009 9:11 PM

Random thoughts

1. Yes, Insight about the product is the key!- my bank couldn't give me reasons why I should stay with them forcing me to do my own research. I had to waste my time selling my own product to myself!

2.Children are very good at giving 'insights' about a person, product or the way they feel... I'd like to hear more about how advertisers reach out to them, how we can talk about this persuasion, or better yet, teach us how to use it for our own persuasive purposes.

3. Was trying to remember the name of this show - could hear your voice Terry, but couldn't remember the name (the show's or yours). Why not? It is a show about advertising so you'd think the catchy title would stick. PS I love the title and the sound bits - you have a great sound engineer.

Dee, August 21, 2009 1:44 AM

I think J. Pezzola misses the point of the "it's the economy, stupid." When people hear it, they don't see themselves as the stupid one being referred to. That's why the line appeals to them. They already think the economy is an important issue,and this line confirms them in their belief that they are smart, and have an insight. To that person, the stupid idiots are those who have a vote and who don't get that insight yet, and the stupid idiots in the media and in academia, etc. blathering on about intellectual concerns. And such a person hearing it is apt to vote for the person pushing it, in this case Clinton, because he is going to act on the economy in spite of all these stupid idiots who just don't get it. Also ratings and surveys are meaningless and often dangerous unless you know not only the exact question asked, and precisely to whom, but the circumstances under which they were conducted and the methodology used. Remember what John Diefenbaker said about polls.

Tim Jaques, New Brunswick, Canada, September 13, 2009 9:07 AM