Persuasion in the Niches

Broadcast Date: June 14, 2008

Times 'wuz that the goal of any marketer was to sell "big" brands to the widest possible audience. This week, Terry O'Reilly explains how the days of "one size fits all" brands are vanishing; replaced by specifically targeted "niche" brands. He'll trace this trend to the growth of "specialty" media; Gay/Lesbian/Bi radio stations, for instance, provide a platform for a new generation of "niche" marketers. He'll also show how many of the mighty mainstream brands- such as the Model T- even the iPod- began as "niche" products.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 15 | Bookmark and Share

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy this show.

Living in Detroit and working in the auto industry one cannot help but be immersed in ad copy. I am an avid siruis 137 listener and discovered this show back in the winter. I sometimes forget when its on but many times, like today, I discover it on my way to where I study. I will sit and listen to the whole show.
It has influenced me to the point of seriously considering a minor (or major) in marketing.
Thanks Terry!

Sean O'Brien, June 14, 2008 11:19 AM

Podcast? When are we going to get the Age of Persuasion as a podcast so I can listen to it on my time?

Ed, June 14, 2008 6:38 PM

Ed:
Read the "Podcast Update" (see the top nav bar).

Lindsay, June 16, 2008 10:12 PM

this had me thinking of malcolm gladwell's ted.com talk. covers many of the same topics and equally as interesting.

glenn walker, June 17, 2008 2:40 AM

This is the CBC. You know it's true because listeners mention ted.com in passing and folks understand.

Happy.

Danny Fekete, June 19, 2008 11:36 PM

Yeah, bring on the AOP podcast please!

--Nicholas in Halifax

PS
Dear Mr. Tennant,
I appreciate your note about the podcast and lack thereof. I must, though, correct something. You say that "... you've gotta love a country where 11:30 a.m. happens five times a day." While for the pruposes of live streaming it happens only five times, it actually happens six times a day. Haven't you ever heard, "It's six o'clock, six-thirty in Newfoundland."--or don't you listen to the CBC? That line is as Canadian as the theme music on CBC-TV's Hockey Night ... er ... oops ... oh well. Hey, that gives me be an idea for a show: Companies that took over/lost signatures and the effects on both parties.

PPS
Dear Mr. O'Reilly,
Do you regret going into the stands at Madison Sqaure Garden in '79 or was the eight-game suspension worth it?

Nicholas Graham , June 20, 2008 12:52 PM

O'Reilly's age of persuasion is, I think, the best show on air anywhere. Too bad more people don't know about it. One of the things that always sticks in my head after listening is whether he's promoting the art of advertising or warning us about advertising - a little of both I guess which makes it so good of a show. It's not a "chicken little" kind of show. Very entertaining while being thought provoking.Keep it up man.

P.S. who could ever forget "the art of screaming in advertising" show...?

Ken, June 21, 2008 1:45 AM

Do you have podcasts of AOP yet? Are you working towards regular podcasts?please give us podcasts-I absolutely adore AOP. There is so much info in each episode, that I can't absorb it all in just one half hour per week-I want to be able to hear them over and over again!!! Pls help!!!

Kimberley Anne Laurette, June 21, 2008 9:48 AM

As a huge fan of CBC in general - I've got to say I love the age of persuasion. It's to the point where I won't leave the car until the show is over. There I sit in a parking lot, probably a little late to meet somebody and I won't leave the car until the show is over....Keep up the great work!!!

Alex, June 22, 2008 10:10 AM

Hi Nicolas-

You're so right about the time zones. And wasn't it our friends at Air Farce who once declared: "The world will come to an end at 10 o'clock tonight- 10:30 in Newfoundland".

Mike Tennant, June 23, 2008 11:22 AM

Does anyone know where the ad for the aptera mentioned in this episode was from? Was it a radio spot, or tv? I can't find any sign of it anywhere on the internet.

Great show, I listen all the time.

Peter, July 7, 2008 4:01 PM

death to lawyers. vive le podcast, svp.

bz, August 1, 2008 5:56 PM

I really enjoy the show when I hear it. My 18 year old loves CBC & uses the podcasts and has been telling me all about other shows. I finally thought that I would try it as we are going on an 18 day trip. The shows that I wanted to download, The Age of Persuasion unfortunatley are not available - hopefully they will be in the future.

Philip Parsons, August 3, 2008 7:48 AM

I luv the show! I wish those lawyers would hurry up and let the podcasting begin! If I miss part of the show I always come here and listen to the streaming audio.

soda, August 16, 2008 11:29 AM

Several people commented above that they can't leave the car when this show is on! That's how I came to be here ... it came on yesterday and I was taking notes on the back of gum wrappers, unable to leave 'til it was over.

Excellent show. I'm off to look for archives and podcasts now.

Kate, December 12, 2008 6:26 PM