Emotion

Broadcast Date: Saturday May 10, 2008

Take two baseball Hall-of-Famers- Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth. Baseball insiders lean towards Cobb as the superior all-round player, yet Ruth towers above Cobb in popular culture. Why? For the same reason brands win and lose marketing wars: victory goes to those who forge the strongest emotional connection with consumers.

This week Terry O'Reilly explains why so few advertisers use "facts" to build their brand, and why the best way to win a consumer's business is through the heart. He'll show how even low-interest products use emotion to build their brands, and he'll explain how emotion has driven sales of a popular breakfast cereal for three generations.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 13 | Bookmark and Share

i like this programe, but i almost never have the oportunity of listening, do you have a potcast.

it is really a great show.

omar vazquez, May 8, 2008 7:49 PM

Terry :

Marvelous insight - Well done !

A complex subject presented in an entertaining and easy to understand format. It's better than Advertising 101.

Paul Hoffman, May 9, 2008 12:00 PM

The Age of Persuasion is not only the best produced program on CBC Radio,it is its most interesting, informative and entertaining show. Count me as one big fan.

richard hughes, May 10, 2008 2:18 PM

I have loved this show since day one. Informative, entertaining, thought provoking and useful. I have inquired before, and will ask again - Can copies be purchased at this time or are there plans to offer them for sale?

Carole Todd, May 10, 2008 3:40 PM

This show is why I love going out on Saturday mornings!! It's always a long drive to wherever I go, and I listen to this and just LOVE it. When I get home, I subject my poor husband to all the interesting facts I learned.

I liked the information about the history of the Wheaties. And when the Hallmark commercial was played, I was in tears.

To my delight, I logged in and found that I can download all the shows that I've missed.

Carolee, May 11, 2008 9:20 AM

I love the program but can't usually listen to it. Can't listen to this one the way we can the others? Is there a reason?
Thanks

Ellie Kennard, May 11, 2008 3:21 PM

The last three week's show have been weak. They are not as interesting as they used to be even if the topics are interesting. Too much time wasted on artifacts instead of making points after points like in previous shows.

"In defense of advertising" did not feel convincing. Did they beleive the arguments for advertising they preached about?

"It's the insight stupid" had too many detours.

"Emotions" was just badly edited. That whole Hallmark commercial, the stuff on the baseball players and the Wheaties was just too lomg. The points could have been made in much less time. The Hallmark commercial, if you ask me was just bad and I lost interest very quickly. I would not consider that or even the Filipino ad to be great ads, unlike what the host claimed. I would have changed the channel had I had to listen to them outside the confines of the show. I don't care what Cannes' expert say.

This show is losing its edge. Do the creators still feel they can convey something to their listeners? If they are not worried about the shows quality and users' interests, they should start to panick now. Stop being witty and get back on track with the good show that first captured my imagination.

Harvey, May 12, 2008 5:18 PM

I've always said every advertisement ever produced, regardless of medium or message, can be boiled down to just two little words: buy now! Which is exactly what I do with every word this guy utters. Terry O'Reilly rocks! Period.

Chris O'Brien, May 12, 2008 5:38 PM

How do I get a link to listen to last Saturday's show,Emotion? I thought it was great.

Todd Trombley, May 13, 2008 11:11 AM

LOVE THIS SHOW - can't listen on the weekend - and look forward to the monday evening to sit, fold laundry and listen - Make sure all the heads at CBC know how great it is.
Pamela

Pamela McCulloch, May 19, 2008 11:16 AM

Listening to this episode brings to my mind a stat I heard approximately a decade ago about the number one selling pop in Canada. It was not Pepsi or Coke but a cheaper knock-off. After listening to the show, it comes to mind that maybe Canadians are less emotional suckers and perhaps slightly more prone to logic?

I also remember coming across studies years ago that show that the amount of education a consumer has is inversely proportional to his/her brand loyalty. So a better-educated person is more likely to shop around and base decisions on value rather than brand loyalty.

I find it interesting how some of these companies put all their marketing dollars on an emotional plea. I like to know how they are trying to manipulate me.

Love the show. Thank you for your insights, which continue to make me conscious of things that were working on my sub-conscious. And the way that the information is conveyed is such a pleasure to listen to.

Grace Woo, June 2, 2008 11:23 AM

Terry's relaxed voice cadence is both credible, authorative, and emots that he's one of US. This,plus the historical allusions, make this a premier radio program. Bet PBS would love to rebroadcast it. PLUS Terry and I hail from the same home town. Thanks and congrats Terry.
Larry Roy, Toronto.

Larry Roy, July 9, 2008 6:35 PM

In this show Terry mentioned the top 3 important marketing factors but then only listed 2.
Did I miss something? He said
1)Why would the customer want to buy the product
2)What is the benefit to the customer
I really didn't hear a third thing.

?