The Strategy of Persuasion

Broadcast Date: Saturday April 19, 2008

How did General Isaac Brock and the great chief Tecumseh capture Fort Detroit in 1812- though outnumbered nearly two-to-one? The same way today's brands nestle themselves in your brain: strategy. This week, Terry O'Reilly examines one of the most vital- and least understood- facets of the world's $600 billion marketing industry.

He'll explain the strategy that changed the fortunes of the Paris Metro, how the strategy of changing one word ignited one of the continent's fastest-growing industries; and he'll explain why "second place" in your mind can be the best place for some brands to reside.

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 8 | Bookmark and Share

I don't listen to radio. However on Saturday morning I had to rush to a store in my car and as I started to drive away I noticed that my daughter had left the radio on the last time she used it. I almost turned the radio off when suddenly I became intrigued by a story on strategy and General Brock. As the program progressed I became increasingly stressed sitting in the store parking lot, listening to this fascinating show and not having the time to listen to all of it. Where is the podcast?

Robert Knight, April 19, 2008 8:21 PM

Fascinating. Terrifying.
Especially the idea that, as a young person, my brain is wired to take life in fragments. No wonder I feel no sense of overall coherence, as I type these words I've got at least three other windows open, a laundry machine chiming "I'm done" from downstairs, a plate of microwaved food beside me and a half-started closet-clean-up project that I'm already bored with.

Eek.

Fabiola, April 23, 2008 1:25 PM

podcast please

jim, April 23, 2008 11:01 PM

What a great show. It's so much fun. Advertising is changing so quickly.I can hardly wait to listen to your show 5 years from now. I get the feeling we are in the "model T" stage of this new medium. Bravo to the cbc for embracing podcasting and streaming Internet now that high speed is here.

Richard Gauder, April 29, 2008 8:06 PM

Thanks Richard. You are so right, just when we thought advertising had fully matured, the internet has changed everything. We truly are in the "Model T" years again. Or the "toddler" hears, as I've said on the show.

Even after 27 years in this business, I still learn something new almost every week.

Terry O'Reilly, May 2, 2008 3:21 PM

Great show when I get to hear it on radio, but the streaming doesn't work for me. Can "Age of Persuasion" be made available as a podcast?

Darren Wall, May 5, 2008 10:44 AM

i have been an avid "interested" listener of cbc for (not enough) years and am very grateful that the corp. has given mr. o'reilly his "own" show.
his comments are always insightful and interesting and, he easily explains concepts that affect all of us, everyday.
as usual, mr. o'reilly is right on about "the net" being a brand new field of advertising.

john fraser, May 31, 2008 9:16 PM

Fantastic show and a wonderful voice... but not available in Podcast form - Why?

Wayne Taylor, February 10, 2009 11:42 PM