Leaving Your Mark

Broadcast Date February 23, 2008 (Originally aired February 15, 2007) The Prime Minister has one. So do Microsoft, the CBC, and the Pope. They've all got a form of logo: a visual symbol, trademark or emblem that distinguishes who they are. Join Terry as he tells the stories behind some of the great logos and trademarks, and shows how today's brand innovators are "translating" them into sound and even attitude. Listen to this episode as streaming audio (runs 27:30)

Some examples of CBC's logos over the years: logos-150x100.jpg

|  Comments From Old The Age of Persuasion Site 14 | Bookmark and Share

Please stream this one. It is relevant to what I do and what I teach!

Alison, February 22, 2008 1:38 PM

I love this show so much that I asked my wife to order O' Reilly on Advertizing for christmas. It is not humanly possible to do this through your website. I would love to listen to past episodes of the Age of Persuasion but there is no clue on the webpage to activate the show. I would be most obliged if you can explain how this webpage works.

Tom Murphy, February 22, 2008 9:13 PM

I think that the age of persuasion is a great show. Intelligent and engaging. I wish that it was offered as a podcast. I only get a chance to catch bits and pieces on a busy Saturday. And don't have time for streaming audio, ties me to my oomputer. As with Stuart McClean...podcasts of great shows make menial tasks, accompanied with an ipod and a great show...somewhat less menial. Keep up the great show. I will do what I can to catch it when I can.

A sign craftsman

Fred Makowecki

Fred Makowecki, February 23, 2008 3:25 PM

The only thing missing from Terry O'Reilly's 'The Age of Persuasion' is a university credit for listening to learn more about what motivates millions of Americans (Canadians too, Molson fans) to get out of bed every morning, go to work and make enough money to be persuaded to spend it.

O'Reilly helps us to understand while getting us chuckling at weaknesses that fuel the economical machine called capitalism. Seriously, from a sociological perspective as well as my own media studies background, I would highly recommend this program as a communications course in one of the media programs offered in many universities and colleges across the Canada and the US. I'm wondering if CBC and O'Reilly have given this any thought not that I wouldn't believe that it hasn't crossed anyone's mind...hmmmm...sometimes, advertising is just advertising, right?

Lorraine Y. Pawlivsky-Love, February 23, 2008 3:27 PM

I missed this, any chance of streaming it?

Mike, February 24, 2008 5:29 AM

I enjoyed this program and wondered how I could get a full written copy of it to read at my own leisure.

Thanks

Carole Gerow, February 24, 2008 8:17 AM

Hi, Terry - good show, and I mean the whole shebang,not just this last one about logo identification.

I may have missed one logo I always thought was truly inspired, not contrived, and that is the one for Canadian National developed some years back.

The initials, 'C' and 'N' were combined into a continuous line, imitating railroad tracks in a very simple visual effect, sans serif. I remember thinking at the time "How obvious!" But then, isn't that the whole point of having a logo?

Des Emery, February 24, 2008 8:44 PM

On Saturday, by the time I remembered to turn on the radio, it was 12:30.

In the old days I would just curse myself...

Now, instead I listened on Monday night after dinner!!!

who had this idea of the audio streaming? Give him/her the Genious Award immediately!!!

martin silva, February 25, 2008 7:08 PM

On Saturday, by the time I remembered to turn on the radio, it was 12:30.

In the old days I would just curse myself...

Now, instead I listened on Monday night after dinner!!!

martin silva, February 25, 2008 7:08 PM

As a commercial artist in training going back to the last days of the dark ages, which ended when computer typesetting became available, I was gaga over anything with a logo. I studied their shape, media, typestyles, as well as their creators. I remember walking around one spring day in my neighborhood in Toronto (circa 1971). There must have been a civic election in full swing as underscored by the many signs hammered into every patch of grass. One in particular stood out and, even though I paid no real attention to the election, I'll never forget that yard sign. It boldly stated: "Rely on Reilly" using clever colour combinations of blue and red (and some italic treatment) to spell out the message in double intendre using just the candidate's last name.
With permission I would like to lay on a bit of modification to that yard sign in order to exalt Terry to the pedestal to which he so rightly deserves: "Rely on O'Reilly" to deliver clever, entertaining, and engaging radio. The Age Of Persuasion will always get my vote. Good on ya CBC!

David Parsons, February 25, 2008 8:04 PM

Thanks for your email, Lorraine.

Yes, there has been some talk around these parts about maybe creating a media curriculum based on our series. We certainly have received a lot of email from teachers and professors asking about the same thing.

Regarding the show's origins, I stage an annual creative seminar for advertising writers every year, and a good friend suggested that the seminar might make an interesting radio show if broken down. Mike Tennant and I looked at each other and said, "Hmmm." Mike, who is not only a fantastic copywriter, but also a seasoned CBC contributor, suggested he and I put together a proposal and approach the CBC.

Which we did - and they said, "We'll take it" - which shocked me. After all, a show about advertising on the advertising-free CBC is a kind of heresy.

But here we are, three seasons later. And loving it.

Hope you keep listening, and thanks for writing.

Terry.

Terry O'Reilly, March 10, 2008 1:03 PM

Dear Terry and gang,

Comments on the excellence of the show are superfluous! Intelligence is becoming a rare thing out there...

I work (and teach) in the animation field. it would be great if you could do an episode on the role of this graphic medium in advertising.

One thing about the logo episode...how about a TV/film/visual version so we can SEE how effective they are...

regards,

scott caple

scott caple, March 14, 2008 11:56 AM

Just great stuff. What a fun way to spend a Sunday morning but getting schooled by a Master. Can't thank you enough.

wbaker, March 15, 2008 7:37 PM

Just finishing off a thesis on marketting in museum (esp. the UK) and I'm not sure I could have done it without you! I gave you space in the footnotes; no plagarism here!
If you haven't (and I'm sure you've looked at them) considered museums they are worth a look as they compete more closely with other recreational activities.
I do wish your program was podcasted (and all of them were available) and, hoping you don't mind, I highly recomend it to other students in the UK.
SK