What might Canada have been like without Viola Desmond?
Is history made by extraordinary people, or by the movements and moments around them? Viola Desmond's story suggests it might be both.
It's hard to overstate the courage of the woman whose face will soon grace Canada's $10 bill.
Popular now in 2017
- 6 reading nowExhibitionistsThis artist can transform ordinary objects and it's the closest thing to real magic you'll ever see
- 3 reading nowAfter 600+ 'Blind Dates' onstage, here's what you learn
- 1 reading nowPoint of ViewThese are groundbreaking times for trans literature — here are your essential reads
- 1 reading nowVideoMeet the artist battling Indigenous cultural appropriation with badass t-shirts and movie posters
- 1 reading now'All power to all people': Syrus Marcus Ware makes art in hope of a more free world